What is Iyengar Yoga? Why Study with an Iyengar Teacher?
- Yoga is for everyone. No one is too old or too stiff, too fat or thin or tired. A Certified Iyengar Yoga teacher can guide students of all ages and physical conditions to an experience of yoga, which is safe, accessible and rewarding.
- In his years of practice, B.K.S. Iyengar developed a method for practicing and teaching yoga that has spread around the world. Mr. Iyengar is the author of numerous books that have set the standard for teaching yoga asana, pranayama and philosophy in modern times.
- Certified Iyengar Yoga instructors are held to an unusually rigorous standard. Only after years of training and evaluation do they become certified. Iyengar Yoga teachers modify the classic asanas (yoga postures) for individual students with the use of props – such as blocks, blankets and belts. Props allow for a deeper penetration into the posture, as well as a longer stay.
- Yoga teachers use their deep-seated knowledge of the asanas to individualize instructions for each student. Students know they are observed and are given clear instruction for practicing. Demonstrations of the posture, a well-developed eye, and specific teaching points which awaken the body’s intelligence -- these are the marks of an Iyengar Yoga teacher.
- Teachers devise sequences of poses, which build skill and understanding, from posture to posture, and from class to class. Students are encouraged to develop their own home practice; without one the study of yoga is incomplete.